Capping Our Creativity (not!)

Way back in November some students went to Liverpool High school’s administration to be able to decorate our caps for graduation.

In the past the push for cap decorating has been shot down a multitude of times for the reason that it does not look “uniform” at graduation. Other reasons were more reason based than attempting to cap our creativity. Issues of it being appropriate or distracting have been mentioned as well.

The process for getting the ability to decorate caps was lengthy and time consuming.

The first step was when two students, Katrina Bragan and Kristina Moore, went to the executive principle of Liverpool high school and presented the idea of decorating caps.

This simple question would soon morph into a full presentation to present privately to the board and superintendent.

The two girls began by creating a petition. For weeks the girls went to academic advisements (homerooms), lunches, and classes to ask for students and teachers signatures. They campaigned on big social media outlets to gain attention for their cause.

Bragan and Moore truly believed that students should have the choice to decorate their caps that represent one’s personality.

Most students were completely on board with the idea. People buzzed about being maybe to decorate their caps and start a new tradition at Liverpool.

The petition got nearly three-fourths of the senior class signatures and a good amount of teachers for their cause.

The next step was to write an essay of sorts explaining why the student body believes decorating caps is important and how the students would go about ensuring that the concerns of it being appropriate or a distraction are met.

After this was written the petition and the essay were given to the executive principle which was then passed on to the superintendent.

The wait began. It took months for the students to hear a finial decision. Anticipation was at an all time high by the end of April.

Sure enough in May there was an announcement that caps will be allowed to be decorated at this years graduation. The excitement of the senior class was indescribable. Everyone was talking about what their caps might look like and trying to get various ideas from multiple people.

This has never happened before in the history of Liverpool. For years of administration wishing to appear in uniformity is now going to allow students to express their creativity on a day that celebrates that past four years of their lives.

A flyer was distributed to all students and teachers regarding the restrictions, but overall this is a victory for our fellow student body.

Students worked together to reach a common goal that benefits the entire senior class.

The class of 2018 at Liverpool high school will not let our creativity be capped.