Is the education system failing it’s students?

America is ranked 38th out of 71 measured countries in Math out of 24th out of 71 countries in Science. Pew(2017). The educational system in the United States is failing. It is failing for several reasons. First off, parents are not involved enough in their children’s education. Second, schools have been constantly closing. Some people are so ready to give up on the school so quickly without looking for another solution. Third, the schools are overcrowded; which makes it harder for students to learn and tougher for teachers to teach effectively. Another very important reason is that teachers are still using old teaching methods. Not only are students unresponsive to teachers teaching methods, but, teachers are not enthusiastic about teaching as well. Yet, teachers are still protected by the system. Teachers can do a poor job teaching and still get to keep their job because of the union. Which is why some students, minority students specifically are lost to the school to prison pipeline. The faculty at schools either do not choose to put in the extra work ethic or do not understand what it means to go an extra mile for their students especially for the ones that need it. Students that need extra help and do not receive it are at a risk of dropping out of school; those that drop out of school turn to crime. Teachers need to have more patience and understanding for these students and attempt to actually help these students instead of sending them to somewhere they should not be. There are alternative programs to help them rise above their circumstances. Perhaps the student needs another kind of educational environment. Students deserve better and deserve to feel comfortable with their pace of learning instead of being compared to other students. There are other opinions that need to be recognized:

“I think that it is because with the technology we have, it’s easier to find answers online so I think kids are more worried about finding the answer rather than learning because teachers are more worried about grades.”

“Yeah , In A Way .. Bc They Don’t Require Us To Take Like An Accounting Class Or Learn How To Write A Check Or Just Basic Things We Are Actually Going To Need/Use In Life ..”

“Yes, I believe they set standards too high and raise the curriculum as students begin to grow. They set up expectations for each person expecting them to be the same. But every child has different needs and learning styles they don’t give students the things they NEED in life only what the states feels the need to be “educated”.”

“Yes, because they’re not taking time to make sure we understand it but they’re just rushing and making sure they Get all the curriculum done. we don’t feel safe anymore and we don’t feel like we can be ourselves.”

“I Believe that our education system is failing students reason why I say this is because I feel like we learn unnecessary information . I wished the education system would teach us more about ways to make an impact in the world or teach us students more on real life situations and feed us with more wisdom. I just don’t understand on why were learning the same thing over and over again I believe that it’s time that we’re taught real information that will help us grow in the real world or help us retain knowledge that should be spread all over the world !! Or Information that interest and will forever stick with us. Kids get out of high school not knowing nor remembering half of the information that was taught to them from the beginning of the school year. We have standardized test and grades that determine a student success which in my opinion not fair because not every student learns or retains information the same as everyone else. If teachers and the education system were more focused on teaching students (not all but most) in a way that would help them learn and grasp information better we would have more kids eager to learn and get engaged with the course.” -high school graduate

“Yes because it has its in and out in the ways of how certain teachers are in the ways of their personalities and not teaching certain students but overall our school systems are failing due the financial side and their are not any alternatives for some students in and after school.”-student

“Yes. Many educators enable behavior that will prevent them from being successful in the future. Even I’m guilty of it. Also, we do not provide enough opportunities for children to explore different avenues to success.” -Teacher

“Yea, because they try to follow the expectations guidelines , but not all students learn the same so most fail .” -student

“I feel like our teachers are failing our students by not knowing that each individual learns differently.” -student

“It definitely is. You don’t learn anything School is no longer about learning just getting the assignments done in order to make sure you pass.” -student

“I believe some are failing them but I also feel like some kids fail themselves. Due to the level of education they provide based on community area.” -parent

“schools give up on students that aren’t as advanced as others and they just fall through the cracks.” -student

“yes , school is no longer about learning it’s about making the school look good and passing, it no longer teaches us how to think just how to remember things. everything in the past has evolved but education, it’s still the same , learn , remember and test. Testing limits kids abilities to making them think they’re not good enough.” -student

“Yes i do because they stress us out with the regents tests and the common core ! Doctors even had said it.” -student

“I believe as a parent it’s parents and our education system that are falling are students. First the parents are failing are children by not attending to all the children needs and helping to get their behavior together. We as parents have to realize that when we bought a child into this world; it’s our responsible to make they have all that is needed for them to succeed.” -Parent