Should you have a relationship going into college?

Seniors… We have nearly 3 months left of high school. Its April. All we have to do is last until June and were home free.

When most people go to college they want to get away. Most want a fresh start and to begin their future. It is a time to be independent for the first time ever… So… should you have a relationship going into college?

There are a multitude of different sides to this question. Do you already have a significant other? If so, should you end it before college? Should you be finding someone to date now even though we leave in a few months? Should we even be in relationships at all?

There are so many ways to look at it.

On one hand: Yes, having someone to be the other half of you is fun. Its nice to have that relationship with someone and get to share your last few months with someone. Especially if you’ve already been dating and/or have been dating for a few years now maybe it isn’t some “silly” high school relationship that should be left in high school. There are lots of relationships that end in marriage with one’s “high school sweetheart.”

The decision to end it before college is ultimately up to the people already dating. I think the question purpose though, if you should have a relationship going into college, has a simple answer: you shouldn’t.

Many believe that when going to college a person needs to be independent and experience all the things college has to offer. Therefore, one should not be held back by having another person to take care of. If they’re going to the same school then maybe it could be okay, but for the majority someone should be single going into college.

It allows for new opportunity and to meet new people. It lets you be truly yourself without having to worry about another person. Its a chance to be truly you for the first time in a new place.

That may be a very unpopular option and I am a true advocate for doing whatever makes one happy, but it is still something to think about.

I think depending on if you’re in a relationship or not dictates what one would want to do. Everyone has free will and as long as they are happy then it is the right decision.

However, if you’re single I don’t think you should get into a relationship right before college. It sets someone up for heartbreak if you decide to breakup before college or adds a lot of stress on a newer relationship if it becomes long distance.

This question is hard to answer. I think you should be single going into college, but I do not know it all, nor do I have the same feelings as people in relationships today.

As long as people are doing whatever makes them happy then that is the best answer to the question that there can be.