A Movement at Syracuse University: Helping with Gun Violence Protection

In today’s society, specifically after the Parkland shooting, gun violence is a prominent issue in the United States. There have been multitude of mass shootings in the past few years and many have been advocating for stricter gun laws. In addition to that, many are advocating to being more conscious towards individuals who may or may not be planning a mass shooting.

All across the country individuals are pressing the, “see something, say something” movement. Since Parkland, the focus has shifted to the students and their safety within their school.

Recently a Syracuse University student was arrested after high suspicion for planing a mass school shooting.

The student was on a student visa attending the university. The student had wanted to purchase a gun, but after noticing some unique activity the cashier decide to not sell the student the gun.

In the United States it is illegal for a non-U.S citizen to obtain a gun, but anyone on a visa may have a valid hunting license. Some speculate if an individual on a visa has any need for a hunting license. This speculation had crossed the cashier’s mind especially after noticing the date on the hunting license was March, 11th the day before the student went to go purchase an AR-15.

The cashier felt there were too many red flags to sell the gun and refused to finish the purchase.

After contacting the authorities it was revealed that the student had been involved in other oncoming activities. It was stated that the student had gone to two different physiatrics care facilities to seek help and after searching his apartment concerning items were found such as used gun targets and various accessories for guns.

After further investigation it was revealed by some of his peers that he had been talking about doing something ‘dangerous” or that might “cause trouble.”

With the culmination of all these aspects the student’s visa was revoked and he was deported.

This example at Syracuse University is important in understanding this movement that is crossing the country. Whatever one’s stance may be on gun violence, it is important to keep our communities safe. The actions done by this cashier made Syracuse University to continue to be a safe environment for their students.