Ithaca College Student Wins Big on The Price is Right

Ithaca College student, Dominic Tibbetts, was in Los Angeles for an internship when he had the opportunity of a lifetime. He was attending a recording of the Price is Right, when he was selected, after an interview process, to be previewed in the showcase.

First, he had to guess the price of a computer, desk, and chair, since he was the closest guess he won the accessories and moved onto the next part of the show. Tibbetts later won $10,000, after correctly guessing which household retail items were under $5.00.

How did this opportunity come about, tell us about the process of getting on the show?

Well I was out in LA for the fall semester through Ithaca College’s ICLA program, and our program coordinator Jon Bassinger-Flores (JBF you’ll love him if you come to Ithaca and go to LA) posted a link for free tickets to the price is right on our Facebook page so me and my buddies got some then headed to the show taping on a Sunday. To get on the show itself I basically talked to a producer who comes down the line and just had a conversation with everyone, and me and him had a good small conversation, I cracked a couple jokes and then the rest was history. I was one of the first four to be called up and the first to win the bid item and go up on stage to compete for cash.

What was going through your mind when you got called down?

What was going through my head can’t be put into words due to profanity, but also because I had so many emotions running through me that it felt unreal. Me and the guys I work with over the summer religiously watch Price is Right during our lunch breaks and they always said I had to get on the show, so it was awesome to do that for them. It was one of the best feelings I’ll probably ever experience in life.

On stage, were you nervous at all?

Honestly at first I wasn’t nervous, just excited. The game I played was pretty straight forward, guess 4 out of the 6 items  that are below 5 dollars and I’m 10 grand richer. The first 3 items I knew right of the back from being such a nerd about the show, and the fourth one I looked to the crowd and my friends for help, and we all picked the right one thankfully.

What do you plan on doing with your winnings?

I’m going to save most of it, just because I’m graduating and I’m in a field where I can be sent anywhere so it will be nice to have that financial back-up for whatever comes down the road. However I am going to be a bit boujee and splurge a little bit. New clothes, car repairs, maybe a wine/ brewery tour who knows.

While in LA, what other show recordings did you get to attend?

I got to see James Corden and Jimmy Kimmel while I was out there all free of charge, and that was awesome. A lot of people don’t realize that shows like Kimmel, Fallon, Corden, Connick Jr, etc. are all free for the seat filler seats and sometimes you can even catch a free concert or win a free prize. While at Corden, I got to see TY Dolla $ perform and at Kimmel Miguel took the stage with Travis Scott for Pineapple Skies, and SkyWalker.