UMOJA Step Team Updates For Upcoming Year 2018-19

The Umoja Step Team has had a successful and liberating year (2017-2018). The Umoja Step Team lived the lesson: when you fall, you get back up. The team members stepped out of their shells and learned self-discipline. They learned that nothing in this word will be given to you; everything has to be earned. There may have been some tears, they may have had attitudes, but the bigger picture is growth. Each and every single team member has grown mentally and physically.

The Umoja Step Team performed well this year, beginning with the October pep rally on the LHS football field. The Winter Prep Rally was a huge success. The team member’s energy was high and the crowd responded with roars. Not only did the team enjoyed themselves, but they had grown in self-confidence at the same time.

The Black History Month Show was phenomenal. For the first time in the history of Liverpool High School’s UMOJA Step Team, thanks to the Tech Crew, the performance had lights. The team had a fairly large crowd from 150-200 people, perhaps even more! The show received lots of positive feedback from social media, family members, friends, and faculty.

The last show for the year of 2017-2018 at Liverpool High School was the Carpe Cafe Ole Show. The team had some technology difficulties; despite that, they continued to dance. Instead of having the actual music, they choose to sing the song instead. Yelling: “Umoja,” they clapped, sang and danced on. Showing the team’s ability to adapt to any obstacle they face. When you fall, you get back up!

As the 2017-2018 ends, Takayla Beckon’s (aka Grandma) time as captain of the Umoja Step Team comes to an end. She is preparing for the next chapter of her life, but she continues to mentor the upcoming co-captains for 2018-19. Congratulations to Tatyanna Barron and Zahara Dunn. Meanwhile, Llamily Medina will be the leading captain. Takayla will continue to mentor, train, and help mature these strong, independent, and fierce young women. Mrs. Beckon leaves advice for the upcoming captains:

“ I have ten pillars to follow to keep this team together:
Don’t ever quit.
Draw the line.
Stay Humble.
Do not tolerate bullying.
Nourish this team.
DO NOT be afraid to take risks.
Be there for your teammates.
DO NOT BE A NARCISSIST.
COMMUNICATE.
Keep the legacy thriving.

Keep that in mind. Remember 5s, remember our motto, and remember to continue telling your team that nothing good in life ever comes without hard work, perseverance, and dedication. I would say good luck but you don’t need it because you’ve got each other.”

The UMOJA Step Team continues for another year along with their current advisor, Mama Brown (Mrs. Brown). May they thrive in the future and may the step team thrive for another decade.