Utica College goes into lockdown mode

On Monday, March 5, 2018, Utica College was forced to lockdown. A threat was made to the college that forced them to lock down. The school alerted everyone on the Utica College campus about the threat made to the college over twitter at about 11:12 a.m. As soon as students and teachers got the message, they were shocked and immediately went into lockdown mode. The lockdown lasted for about 6 hours.

After the lockdown was over, students could return to their residence halls. Commuters, faculty, and staff were allowed to leave with their own belongings.

The person who made the threat to Utica College said that they were armed with a gun. Police said that no weapon was fired at all, and no students were injured at any point during the day.

Every person on campus was escorted to the Strebel Student Center and Clark Athletic Center. Both of these areas were considered safe zones by law enforcement. After the lockdown was over, law enforcement released everyone from these two areas.

Utica College described the threat at first as real and credible. After the investigation though, law enforcement said the threat was not real or credible. Law enforcement then arrested the person for making threats to the college.

The person who made the treats called the college to take some sort of action at the Gordon Science Center. This phone call prompted the lockdown.

There was a heavy police presence on campus all day long. The Utica Public School District took the college lockdown as a precaution.

Following the lockdown, the college cancelled all afternoon and evening classes, events, activities, and athletic practices for the rest of the day and evening.

There was no violence or any reports of injuries on campus that day.