We Are The Problem!

We Are The Problem!

In the year of 2018, there have been a total of 19 school shooting across the country. The school shooting that gained the most attention was the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Seventeen members of this school were killed. A football coach, an athletic director and young, eager, unarmed students. Yet, the question still stands what led a student to bring a gun in his school and open fire on unarmed students?

People are so fast to jump to conclusion and say majority of these shooters are white crazy little kids with mental issues. Which is partially true, majority of these kids are white but what does the color of their skin have to do with what pushes the kids to kill another unarmed kid. In my opinion, people aren’t born crazy. It’s an individual trials and tribulations that he or she faces everyday in or outside of school. Life is painful, some people can’t handle the daily stressors and decide to express their emotions with a gun instead.

People are so quick to jump on the government and say “How did they get guns in the first place?” , which is reasonable. The current government has made agreements with the National Rifle Association (NRA) that makes it easier for people to get firearms. Trump has revoked Obama’s protections on firearms. The Florida shooting occurred on February 14th and what has the president done to make a change in schools? Nothing.

There has been another school shooting. Instead of it being in a high school, this time it was on a college campus in Michigan. Three unarmed college students were killed. When will the necessary changes be made to keep your children safe? As a community, come together and find a way to make schools safe.Trump has hosted a listening session with high school students and teachers to find a way to protect our schools. In trump own words, these damaged kids are “savage sicko” their lives need to be ended. Stop waiting on the government! The only “solution” he has came up with is to give reinforcements to teachers.

Teachers? Teachers are here to educate students. Arming teachers is an accident waiting to happen; for example, a student could be reaching in his bag meanwhile arguing with a teacher… what will be the teacher’s first instinct? Shoot first? Meanwhile, the student could be pulling out late homework. Arming teachers is a concern especially for African American students. They are already worried about being gunned down by police officers… now, they have to worry about being killed by their teachers too. Not only does this make students feel uncomfortable and unsafe but the school will no longer be a gun free zone.

The safety in schools are nonexistent, especially in the suburban areas. During a school shooting we are told to go into a corner of the room that is invisible from the window on the door and lock the door. Schools have been using that protocol for decades and yet students are still dying! In some high schools, why is there no metal detectors while the students are entering the school? “Because it makes the school look unsafe”? That’s not a good enough answer. Instead of making it look safe, how about actually making it safe?! Looks are deceiving. How will you protect the students and staff? No metal detectors, no police officers on the school property, no nothing. Wait. Now, we have to wait for cops to arrive. Meanwhile, an armed student that may have been excluded, bullied, or taunted is roaming the halls with a gun. We deserve better!

Bullying is prevalent in EVERY school. Some people say high school is the best part of your life, which may be true for some students but it’s a nightmare for others. If we are keeping it real, no matter what we do about guns… people still don’t feel safe to go to school. Why? It’s not rocket science, but let’s see… people come to school to get an education. In getting an education, they also get bullied… verbally, physical or maybe both. What happens when the person being bullied decides enough is enough.

This individual may not want to go to counselors because they feel as if they will be treated differently or most counselors don’t understand what is going on in their world with no friends.
Most teenagers don’t have a plethora of friends to go to for help. So, what can they do before their emotions explode in a way that shows people “I am hurting. Can you see me? What’s my name? What class do you have with me? How many times have you seen me get pushed into a locker? How many times have you seen me get teased for being different? How many times have you stood up for me? Are you scared yet? If you are, welcome to my world.”

Going to school, for most individual may feel as if he or she has no place to fit in … no one comes to their rescue and says “You can sit with me, what’s your name?”. Instead, an individual will change his demeanor and physical appearance to belong.Not everyone has that mindset that if I don’t fit in… it’s okay,I was meant to stand out!
Perhaps we are the problem! If we choose to stand by and watch students get bullied, hurt and taunted by other students. If we take a stand and communicate with our peers and look out for emotionally disturbed students on the edge of self destruction then maybe we might see a difference.