“Banana Split” Being Filmed in Syracuse

A.V. Zogg Middle School in the village of Liverpool was recently purchased by Jeremy Garelick, a Hollywood director, where he hopes to transform the 89 year old building into a film school and a place for movies to be filmed. The property sold for around $1.1 million dollars with over 6 acres of land with a great auditorium, tennis courts, fields, hallways with lockers, classrooms and various open spaces.

Garelick has worked on big blockbuster movies such as The Hangover, The Phone Booth, The Break-up and The Wedding Ringer. He has always had a love for teaching, in the past he has taught at UCLA, Yale, and LA.  His idea was to bring the movie world here and spread the knowledge of his film experience throughout the area, and there was no other way to do this then at a school.

His love for high school styled movies began at a  young age, Garelick was inspired by movies such as The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Sixteen Candles. Since the world is so engrossed in the Harry Potter, Marvel and Disney stories, he hopes to create a high school universe, similar to Marvel.

Garelick recently said in an interview with Syracuse Newstimes “I’m building a great hands-on film school that will give local people an opportunity to learn how to make movies, and hopefully not have to leave Syracuse but can stay and work from here.” By creating this local film school, with so many great accessories, he hopes that eventually A-list stars and crew will come to Syracuse and within the next four to five years the film industry will be booming here.

The learning based facility will be called the “Liverpool School of Cinema.”

Garelick on the set of “The Wedding Ringer” (2015)

Recently,  Garelick and his partner, Mickey Liddell, created a new a new company called American High. Deadline released an interview saying the company was “staked with a $50 million, the new company will generate a slate of high school-set comedy features.”

This past month they have been filming around the Syracuse area at places like, Heids, Glazed and Confused, and a private residence on Sedgewick drive up near the Syracuse University campus. Their first film, Banana Split, which is an indie high school comedy, stars Dylan Sprouse (The Suite Life of Zach and Cody), Hannah Marks (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency) and Liana Liberato (If I Stay).

On Sunday, two of The Lifeguard’s writers, Hannah Ladouceur and Abby Moore, had the opportunity to visit the set and be an extra in the movie. The extensive set and crew gave the writers insight into long and tedious process it takes to film and produce a movie.

Liverpool High School played a major role in developing this film school as well as many of the sets for “Banana Split”, the directors came to our school to get an idea for what a high school looks like. They used many of our posters hanging in the hallways such as Key Club and the DMV 5-hour course. The crew also borrowed many of our cafeteria tables and created a mock mural very similar to the one in our lunch room. Many of the extras chosen to be in the background scene in the hallway were mostly Liverpool High School students, so it will be very cool to see Liverpool students on the big screen.

The movie release date is not yet determined because they are in the early stages of production, but the release is expected to be within the next two years.

Be sure to stay updated on any upcoming news regarding the film and the Liverpool School of Cinema.