Top 5 Movies About High School

Ava Canterino

While nothing can truly depict the four years of our lives spent in high school many films have come close to properly conveying some important aspects. Whether it’s proving anyone can be friends to showing just how hard it can be to find who you belong with, here are 5 movies that accurately portray life as a high schooler.

1. Never Been Kissed

Even though this movie follows the life of a middle aged woman getting her second chance at high school, it still does a brilliant job portraying the day of an average teenager. It shows just how much effort it can take to fit in and how hard some people work to gain popularity. Most importantly this film shows how naive adults can be to the lives of teens. You can gain an appreciation of how quickly times change and how hard it can be to keep up with the world around you.

1. The Breakfast Club

Not only was this movie an instant classic, it also touches base on all the major high school stereotypes while simultaneously dispelling them. It highlights all the differences among the kids and shows how it is possible for everyone of them to form a connection. This movie proves how unsteady relationships really are and stresses the importance of getting to know someone without judging them on their outside appearance.

1. Mean Girls

Despite being a comedy this movie eludes to the many important lesson students learn throughout high school. One being how important it is to stay true to yourself because, if not, you may run the risk of losing those closest to you. It may be obvious because of the title but this movie doesn’t shy away from pointing out how catty girls can really be. This film draws attention to the social hierarchy that often resides in high schools and proves that even the meanest of girls can have a change of heart.

1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

This film perfectly emulates what it means to be a teenager. It takes on a tone of lightheartedness as it shows off how important it is to take a day off once in awhile and have some fun. The movie boasts three main characters that have an unlikely friendship, an angsty principle and an annoyed sibling looking to get her brother into trouble. It simultaneously makes you laugh while hinting at what a teens mind set is.

1. Dead Poets Society

Not only does this film show how much of a difference a good teacher can make, it also sheds light on the daily pressures students often face. It teaches the importance of pursuing your dreams and opening up to others around you because the outcome could be great. This film also stresses that, without the support of those you love, it may be painful to try and prevail. Despite those problems it will be worth it.